Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bed Room Set part 2 ( Dresser)

Here is the Dresser that I built. I like it for several reasons. One is the fact that it is very light but is exceptionally well built. I accomplished this buy using all solid maple. There are several kinds of maple, the one I used is very light weight but very strong.
Another reason that I like this is that the drawers guides are a wooden dovetail guide that I made and that works great. The reason Rene' loves this dresser is because of the handles if you click on the picture you should be able to see them. They were very expensive.
One cool thing about this dresser starts with the atmosphere of school. When working on a project at school everybody needs to give their opinion. Those of you who really know me know that I will just ignore those opinions because I know better then them (I only ignore you if I know better). Well when I was making the drawers for the dresser I ran into a problem. I made the inside out of maple and the outside out of a different wood. This caused the drawers to be different colors. I still had to stain and tone the outside and I didn't know what to do. I had dovetailed the sides and I thought that the drawer would look stupid with 3 colors (Front, Endgrain of front, and the Side). Everybody at school said that it would look fine and not to worry about it. I came up with an idea to paint the stain on carefully on the endgrain. I did this with all my class mates making fun of me and laughing at me because "It will look so stupid". When I was done and I had stained the drawers everybody was shocked. Why were they shocked? Well it was because it looked so good that it blew all their work out of the water. Not only did everybody like it but I then had everybody who was making a dresser come ask me how to do it and if I would teach them. I said no. I waited until they begged some more, then I showed them. My teachers told me that if I was selling it that what I did would increase the value of the dresser from $150 to $500 easily, and from my work at bassett I think it could raise it even more. All from 1 hour of extra work.
This whole story just goes to show. Don't take advise from idiots.

4 comments:

Syl said...

I LOVE this dresser! and am so excited that I get one too for Christmas/birthday/Mother's day! It is perfect and the work done on it is professional grade. I would buy this dresser!

Anonymous said...

If you would have painted it glow in the dark then you wouldn't stub your toe at night. But its nice anyway. And I don't know how you call it light I thought it rather heavy.

David
Make it pink no Purple

Anonymous said...

I love your dresser. I agree taking advice from idiots is dangerous. The problems is the stupids are sometimes in disguise so you have learn to spot them.

Jen

Lonna said...

I think that it looks great. And just so you know I am with Rene on the handles. I think that the wrong kind of handles/knobs on a piece of furniture can make or break the look of something.